One Rail Australia is one of Australia’s leading rail-based logistics partners, delivering value through customer service, operational excellence and innovation.
Our number one priority is to deliver for our customers safely – when and where they need it.
We operate in South Australia, the Northern Territory which includes the Tarcoola-to-Darwin rail line, Queensland and New South Wales, including the Hunter Valley. We provide tailored solutions across a diversified commodity mix of minerals and agriculture.
About the Role
We have an opportunity for an experienced and hands on Operations Specialist to join the business. Reporting to the Queensland Operations Manager and based in the Mackay region, this role will play an essential part in the success of One Rail Australia’s Queensland rail operations. The Operations Specialist will provide train driving duties, training and assessments, mentor rail operations staff, conduct audits, safety observations and incident management including investigations. The Operations Specialist is also responsible for continual improvement activities, including identifying and implementing initiatives to deliver safe, cost effective rail services that meet all One Rail’s customer expectations.
Additional key responsibilities of this role include:
- Operate locomotives and trains in a safe and efficient manner, adhering to all safe working regulations and requirements for upholding locomotive driver accreditation.
- Delivery of training and assessment functions.
- Conduct a range of operational audits, safety observations and other monitoring of operations.
- Provide immediate incident management including investigation.
- Undertake drug and alcohol testing of employees when required.
- Ensure all crews operate safely, comply to procedures and remain aware of all operational risks.
- Develop procedures, safe working practices and other operational documents.
- Ensure all staff have up-to-date training and level of competencies.
- Monitoring of performance, building a high-performance operation.
- Undertaking continual improvement activities including identifying, implementing and monitoring initiatives.
- Promote optimum driving methodologies including reviewing regular downloads.
- Comply with all relevant Safety legislation and statutory requirements.
- Vigorously apply Safety & Risk management rules and procedure through engaging, promoting and enforcing with staff.
- Take all reasonable and practicable measures in line with legal obligations and community expectations to ensure adverse environmental impacts are prevented or minimised.
- Establish and maintain effective and timely working relationships with internal/external stakeholders to ensure day-to-day requirements/expectations are met and continual improvements are achieved within the area of control.
You will have demonstrated train operation experience within the Central Queensland Rail Network, proven ability to operate electronically controlled pneumatic brake systems and a strong understanding of the implementation, improvement and maintenance of safety-based cultures. Further to this, to be successful you will have experience in the following:
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills.
- Coaching, training, mentoring and assessing staff.
- Monitoring performance of operations and identifying opportunities for improvements.
- Continual improvement activities in a rail operations environment.
- Ability to utilise problem solving skills in the workplace.
- Self-management skills with flexibility and commitment to work in a 24/7 shift work environment.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the heavy haul rail industry in the capacity of a qualified locomotive driver.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a qualified workplace trainer and assessor.
- Qualified train driver.
- Route competencies in Central Queensland Coal Network.
- Safe working Rules applicable to the Central Queensland Coal Network.
- Training and Assessment qualifications.
- Open Drivers licence.
This role is offering an exceptional opportunity to work within a progressive organisation with a team of dedicated professionals.
As part of One Rail’s recruitment and selection process, short listed applicants will be required to provide a recent national criminal history check and successfully complete a per-employment health assessment.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter as a single document
via The Apply button.
One Rail Australia Pty Ltd is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a zero tolerance to drugs and alcohol in the workplace.